Thursday, August 2, 2012

Testing HUAWEI E5331 ( E5331s-2 )

 Today I got my first Mi-Fi router. I closed the ADSL contract with Telecom Italia because it costs almost 40 €/month (21 ADSL + 16 Tax). ADSL was working really fine but in this period saving money is getting more important that ever.

Wind offers a contract with 10GB/month for 10 €/month ... so here I am!
I don't like Internet keys because I have 2 computers and a smart phone and I want all to be connected!
Solution?
After a quick internet search the answer was MiFi!
So I got this WiFi router: HUAWEI E5331 ( E5331s-2 )
What I like:
1. Easy: with few click I put it online. Just insert sim card, turn it on and made a little WiFi survey from my PC to see the Wind SSID.
2. Cheap: with my contract I got it for free. If you have to buy from Wind you can get it for 68 €. On the internet prices are similar
3. Dimension: it's small, easy to carry and you can take it with you everywhere. Next two weeks I'll be in vacation and I'l take it with me.
4. Provided with a mini USB adapter for charging with computer.
5. Connect up to 8 devices
6. HSPDA (up to 21 MBs)
7. Led indicators
What could be improved.:
1. There is no home battery charger included. Only the PC cable is included.
Not a big problem: the connector is a mini-usb and I used my blackberry battery charger, no problem so!

The web interface is quite easy. 
Something I liked:
1. As default roaming is disabled. Good if you travel and need to keep costs under control. If you don't like surprises this is for you!
If you wand to use this connection also in roaming you need to willingly enable it.
2. Firewall functionalities and other functionalities as Firewall IP Filter, Port Forwarding (or "Virtual Server"), DMS and others.
Somethig expected from a home firewall, I did not image I could get all of them on a simple and small object like this!

I just got it, so let me play with it and I'll be back to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Microsoft Teams doesn't open

 Hello! My Microsoft Teams stop working! Searching .... I found this solution that worked: Delete the content of: C:\Users\<profile>\A...