Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How to reset windows password

This morning a colleague needed to access a PC used by an user who is no more working with us.
Password? - Lost.
Because the local network connection was disabled no way to use a domain administrator account.
I tried several software an I had success with TRK from OSU Open Source Labs. (also known as "Trinity rescue Kit")

You can download it from http://trinityhome.org
Once you create a bootable disk from the ISO image just boot the PC from it.
It will ask you some questions, like Keyboared Language an Video resolution (I just press ENTER for defaults)
Once in, with ALT-F2 I opened the console and used the following commands:
winpass -i  to tell the program to search the disks for SAM
winpass -u to get the list of users.

Follow the the instructions.
I resetted the password of Administrator
NOTE: once finished don't forget to use the command for Quit (q if I remember well)  because that also save changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microsoft Teams doesn't open

 Hello! My Microsoft Teams stop working! Searching .... I found this solution that worked: Delete the content of: C:\Users\<profile>\A...