Monday, July 23, 2012

Android VS iPhone, Lotus Traveler vs. BES

I need to change my phone.
I have a BlackBerry and I love it!
We have Lotus Domino at work. I installed a BES (Black Berry Server) Express and I have my mobile perfectly synchronized with mails and calendar.

Many other colleagues have iPhone and Android, so we installed Lotus Traveler.

Now the dilemma: do I still need to support and maintain a dedicated server for Black Berry phones or should we all move to Lotus Traveler?

With traveler you can connect iPhone, Android, Nokia S26 and Win Mobile.
With BES you can connect only BlackBerry mobiles.

With traveler I don't need to have a dedicated server only for mobiles. I installed one domino that manges web sites, traveler, mails etc.
To install BES I needed a new server, with a domino and the BES package installed.
The cost was not a problem: I made a virtual machine on our ESX structure, domino Lic. wasn't a problem because we purchased a CED licence from IBM and BES Express is free.

It is anyway and extra server that requires my attention, backup and care.

What shall I do?
We are renewing our contract with Vodafone and I have the possibility to change all our mobiles with a new iPhone or Samsung (Android) almost for free (few €/month)

My boss told me I have to switch off BES before the end of the year. He think it is not reasonable to keep 2 server with the same service (email push to mobile phones) and I do fully agree.

My question now is:

iPHONE or ANDROID ????


I havn't use any of them before and now the choice is hard.
If you search the internet you'll get opposite opinions.
- iPHONE is smart ! .. Android is Great!
- Android works well ... iPhone works better!


I'm confused.
If I had to make a quick choice I would say ANDROID:
- I am a developer
- I love free apps (and it seams that for Android you can get more than iPhone)
- I like Samsung mobiles

.. Let me think about ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microsoft Teams doesn't open

 Hello! My Microsoft Teams stop working! Searching .... I found this solution that worked: Delete the content of: C:\Users\<profile>\A...